Carrigan Crittenden is the main antagonist of the 1995 Casper feature film. She also appears in the comic .In the feature film she was protrayed by Cathy Moriarty.
Carrigan is an extremely mean, self-absorbed, clever, abrasive, roguish, relentless, independent, grouchy, ambitious, negative, conscientious, responsible, ill-tempered, thoughtless, treacherous, efficient, narrow-minded, determined, evil, nefarious and callous woman. Her late father had a huge fortune, but he didn't leave any of it to her, which deeply angers her. Therefore, upon discovering that Whipstaff Manor the old mansion that he did leave to her may contain treasure, she becomes obsessed with possessing the treasure for herself. At the end of the film, she dies and becomes a ghost, but is tricked into crossing over.
Carrigan a selfish and cruel woman is furious to learn from her late father Mr. Crittenden's lawyer Mr. Rugg that she has only inherited Whipstaff Manor in her father's will, rather than anything of significant value. Infuriated, she tosses the will and deed into a fireplace but it is rescued by her attorney and close associate Paul "Dibs" Plutzker. Dibs discovers one of the will's pages has an inscription on it describing treasure hidden in the manor. They both leave to find Whipstaff Manor at a town called Freindship Maine.
Arriving at Whipstaff Manor.Edit
Carrigan and Dibs visit the old manor, but find it is haunted by four ghosts: Casper, a friendly but lonely young ghost and his three obnoxious uncles known as The Ghostly Trio: Stretch, Stinkie, and Fatso. The two make several attempts to remove the spirits, but are unsuccessful.
Later while she's resting at a nearby motel, Casper uses his ghostly powers to play the news report to Carrigan about of an afterlife therapist named Dr James Harvey who explains that ghosts are simply spirits with unfinshed business. Looking at the news report Carrigan decides to contact Dr Harvey.
Carrigan and Dibs meet with Dr Harvey and his daughter Katheen "Kat" Harvey at the manor. Carrigan orders Dr. Harvey to remove the ghosts as quickly as possible. However, things are complicated when Kat and her father meet the ghosts face-to-face; despite Casper's best efforts to befriend them, the two are terrified by both his appearance and the antics of the Ghostly Trio. They choose not to leave, however, and they stay for the night.
Carrigan and Dibs return back to the manor later on as they see Dr Harvey in the library with the Ghostly Trio. They decide to have a "happy hour" with him and drag him out of the manor. This allows them to enter the house and they start looking around for the treasure. They follow Casper and Kat (who are now friends), to Casper's father's laboratory hidden under the floorboards of the library. There they learn that a special capsule is used to run a machine called the Lazarus. This has the power to bring ghosts back to life, but now there is only enough for one. They also see the vault at the end of the laboratory when Kat point's it in the direction while talking with Casper. Seeing as that's where the treasure is Carrigan and Dibs apporoach the vault but finds its locked. Realizing his one opportunity to come back to life, Casper with Kat's help turns on the Lazarus and steps inside. Unfortunately, the capsule is stolen by Carrigan and Dibs and Casper is left disappointed when he turns into an egg yolk.
Death and becoming a ghostEdit
With the capsule in hand, Carrigan and Dibs realize that, as ghosts, they would be able to fly through thick solid walls like the vault to retrieve the treasure, and use the Lazarus to come back to life. Unable to decide who should die, the two attempt to kill each other, resulting in Carrigan falling to her death off of a cliff.
She suddenly reappears as a monstrous ghost to a shocked Dibs and says "not so fast little man the b**ch is back!!".
- Carrigan is the only main villain in a Casper film who is a normal human being, rather than a ghost or a human with supernatural powers, although she does become a ghost at the end of the film. She is also the only villain of the films who is a female.
- Carrigan never intended to turn herself into a ghost. Even though she stole the Lazarus capsule, she still didn’t know what allowed some people to stay behind as ghosts when they died while the vast majority others just were able to pass on. Herself dying would be too risky if for some reason she didnt become a ghost. She decides to test it on Dibs to see if she can kill him and turn into a ghost to get the treasure for her. The plan doesn’t work out as she accidentally falls to her death. While Dibs is up top calling for her, Carrigan ghost rises up from her corpse. It takes her a couple seconds to realize that she is dead and a ghost. Then she flies up to show Dibs that she is back.
- Carrigan is also different from the other ghosts. The Trio and Casper are all featureless white ghosts. Carrigan however is wearing a skin tight black body suit with a plunging neckline and busty chest. Her blonde bob hairstyle is perfectly shaped. Her four fingered ghostly claws also have long bright red nail polish. She has black eyeshadow and thick black eyebrows and red lipstick contrasting her now porcelain skin complexion.
- Carrigan never own that she has died and crosses over for a baseball. She assumes the whole time it is gold or something she can use as money. The dark humor satire of the ending points out that Carrigan has wasted her life and is dead and gone forever all for nothing.
- Cathy Moriarty would later play another character in a later Casper movie. She played Gerti one of Wendy's aunts in Casper Meets Wendy.
- "Not so fast, little man. The b***h is back".
- "I want my treasure. This house is in my way. The house goes 'good-bye'".
- "DIBS! You little worm, you!"
- ”Unfinished business? I have no unfinished business. I have my treasure, my mansion, I have everything. I’m just perfect! Wait, I lied, I have unfinished busines, lots of unfinished busines! I’m not ready to cross over yet! You tricked me you rotten little brats!”